Monday, July 25, 2011

Dear Kainat, the World is yours.

I finally chose a child! It was a really tough decision, I felt as if I was adopting (and in some way I'm providing similar support!). All of the children are beautiful and in need of financial support, and if I could afford to sponsor more I would in a heartbeat. At first, I wanted to choose an only child from India because I would be able to relate to the family structure; but then decided I'd like to sponsor a child with a larger family: bigger family = more people to help! I also decided to sponsor a teenager because I thought I'd be able to influence her the most. I hope to be a source of encouragement and comfort.

I believe she lives near Kolkata

Here is everything I currently know about her: 

  • Her name is Kainat and she is 13 (and will be 14 on August 14th!). She is beautiful.
  • She loves to draw and jump rope. I hope she sends me pictures!
  • Her favorite subject is Languages, so I hoping she might understand some English. 
  • She lives with her parents along with her 4 brothers and sisters. Big family!
  • Their home consists of a single, multi-purpose room made of brick and concrete with a tile roof. 
  • They share a community bathroom and water source and also have a coal stove for cooking purposes.
  • Their monthly family income is $43 (this made me count my blessings and feel even more excited about my financial contributions, it's fulfilling to know that I am going to make a significant difference in Kainat's life).


Immediately after I got her information, I wanted to send her a letter; but the small road block I faced was what should I say to a child who is of a completely different culture? I didn't know how thick the language barrier will be, but I tried my best to keep my letter as simple and informative as possible. I told her about myself and my family; I described my hobbies and how we both love to draw. I encouraged her about school and told her how excited I am to get to know her. Knowing the exchange rate of mail is slower, I saturated my letter with questions.

I also found out that Kainat's name means "universe" and "the world (is yours)". I hope I can help teach her to empower the meaning of her name. I sent my first letter and am patiently waiting a response.
I'm so excited!

The beautiful Taj Mahal in India